Teaching languages other than English
CfBT has distinctive competence in languages and our expertise goes beyond the teaching of English. In the UK, we specialise in supporting the teaching of a comprehensive range of languages other than English.
Worldwide, we help students to learn English. In England, and the rest of the UK, we focus on every other language! In the UK, CfBT works at both national policy and local support levels on issues related to the effective teaching of modern foreign languages. Our expertise covers all ages: from early years to pre-university. CILT, the National Centre for Languages in the UK, began its work in 1966 and in 2011 merged with CfBT.
Drawing upon the rich CILT legacy, our long involvement in languages education includes the following:
- Collaborating closely with the education departments of almost all local authorities in England to support schools in the development of languages education.
- Developing materials for school-based professional learning. The resources are designed to support secondary teachers delivering high quality continuing professional development (CPD) in their own schools as well as for others. These materials help to nurture new cohorts of professional, knowledgeable and confident trainers who will be able to provide the very best school-to-school support in languages.
- Providing excellent initial teacher training (ITT) in languages judged 'good' by Ofsted, the national school inspectorate. In 2012, 95% of our trainees rated the training as good or very good in a national survey by the Teaching Agency.
- Conducting and publishing the annual Language Trends Survey since 2002. The survey is an authoritative analysis of languages teaching issues in schools in England. See the Language learning in primary and secondary schools in England report
- Managing award schemes such as the European Language Label, which rewards creativity and innovation in language-learning projects. Successful projects demonstrate creative thinking and lead to improved teaching provision and learner achievement.
- Managing the national Languages Support Programme funded by the UK Department for Education. The programme worked with hundreds of schools across England, all of which were part of Teaching School Alliances (TSAs) to address barriers to higher performance identified by inspectors.
Contact us for an initial discussion about your languages needs. We can work with you to develop and deliver a personalised languages training solution to meet your requirements.
Supporting your continuing professional development
We have a range of resources to help support excellence in languages education:
- Language improvement modules: high quality modules in French, German and Spanish, complete with lesson plans and resources to help teacher trainers to deliver language improvement courses for both primary and secondary school teachers.
- Subject leadership and pedagogy modules: 'train the trainer' modules for those looking to develop training skills, reflecting on their own practice and sharing this with colleagues. The modules include plans for trainers, PowerPoint presentations and photocopiable resources.
- Primary Languages Training Zone (opens in a new window): an extensive online toolkit to develop languages teaching and learning at primary school.
- Publications catalogue: a range of specialist publications to support professionals working in languages education.
CfBT's work includes specialist research into a wide range of issues relating to languages education including the following:
Our free email discussion lists provide teachers and education specialists with an opportunity to exchange ideas, ask questions, discuss policy issues and keep up to date with what is going on in languages.